Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Life is Short- Running Makes it Seem Longer

Truer words were never spoken! This morning was my first road run. I have only been training for the 3 mile run portion of my sprint Triathlon on my treadmill in the garage. So this outside run was a huge test of whether or not any of that training did any good and I can say for sure that it definitely did! My friend Michelle and I got up at 6:30am and ran 3 miles in an uphill/downhill route around my neighborhood. I only stopped twice- but that was only on account of a major side cramp. Without cramping up, I could run forever it seems. One thing that definitely helped was that I was running a route that I did not know previously and I did not know how long it was either. Michelle is a runner. She could run forever and that is not a snail's pace- that is a 6.5 mph, no problem. So she lead the way and I followed along. Surprisingly we met a lot of people up running that early- including the very shirtless George Jenkins High School Boys Cross Country team. Those are the kids that I want to stop and tell "You won't ever be in this good of shape again in your life- enjoy every minute of it." So here I sit in a very good position to actually finish the sprint triathlon. I was a little worried at first, but gradually the pieces are fitting together and I gain the confidence I need. In a mere 16 hours I will be in the pool swimming my morning laps. And only 18 hours ago I was on my bike with Luke tagging along for dead weight- a job he readily enjoys. I never thought I was capable of maintaining such a pace. Puny in comparison to the Iron Men triathletes of the world, but miraculous in the world of motherhood, church callings and ice cream sundaes.

No comments: