Sunday, July 6, 2008

Go ahead and Name that Planet!

One of the topics for discussion between Jacob and I, is about Star Trek and how in the world the writers come up with all the names of the different planets, species, cultures, etc. I mean, between Star Trek the Original Series, The Next Generation, Deep Space Nine, and Voyager (our personal favorite)- there must be thousands of new names. So we challenged each other to come up with the name of a new planet and the species that lives there. So my clever idea, back me up on this one, is Trylon 5. What a great name for a planet! The species name, also brilliant, is the Drahkoor. Okay, go ahead and laugh at my creation, but is the planet name Praxis and the species name Ocampa any better? (Yes, those last two are real names from the shows). But upon further discussion about names and such, Jacob and I realized that the best names for new planets in outer space would be the names of all the prescription drugs we see advertised on television. Imagine if you will the starship Enterprise landing on planet Valtrex, which of course is ruled by Lord Crestor. His people, the Cymbalta, are decendents of the people from the planet Vioxx- which was annihilated in 2025 by a super weapon known as the Restasis. Yup, pretty sweet, huh? Sounds just as good as anything else they can come up with. But I must go now and see if I can use Cindy’s telescope for a perfect view the planet Lunesta, and its small orbiting moon, Zyrtec.

1 comment:

Kt said...

Very nice wordsmithing...when I write my screenplay you are in charge of naming all the proper nouns.