Thursday, March 16, 2017

Snow Much Fun, Vol. 2

It's a good thing that the next day happened to be Sunday, because a 'day of rest' is exactly what we needed after skiing all day Saturday,  We did go and see The Lego Batman Movie Saturday night, which I should probably see again because I may have drifted off for one or forty-five minutes.

Sunday night my brother and family came over from Saratoga Springs for dinner and a quick visit, which means I got to see JULIA!  Eat your heart out, Grandma!



The rest of Sunday was spent playing Drawful (the best game ever) and having a small devotional with Grandma and Grandpa Sweeney about patriarchal blessings.


Monday the plan was to go snowmobiling at Snowbird.  However, as just south of us became under a Winter Storm Warning, I knew it might be iffy.  As we waited out the morning to see what would happen in the canyon, it began to SNOW big time at Robert and Brooke's house.  Which was such a neat surprise.  I couldn't have planned it any better if I could have.  Once it got going just a little more than a flurry, we quickly put on our snow clothes and headed out to enjoy the winter wonderland.






It started falling so fast that we decided a legitimate snowman needed to be made.  Good thing Jacob has a lot of experience with snow and building stuff, because he didn't miss a beat and got right to work.  




I did too. See me? Do you see me working?










(I forgot to mention that on Friday, Cindy actually made a snowman with the limited amount of snow she could find in the yard.  But her perseverance paid off and I thought Jimmy the snowman turned out really cute!)





Luke made a snow angel (in the mulch bed?) and wasn't half bad at making a true snowball.





,


The winter storm actually closed down the snowmobiling at Snowbird, however, they did say that their Midway location was open for business.  After polling the kids, they decided to stay behind with their cousins who were playing hookie from school that day anyway, and Jacob and I went ahead to brave the snow and have an adventure.  It wasn't the most ideal day for a trip up to 9,000 feet- there was pretty much ZERO view that day, but when you are leaving the state in 8 hours, you gotta do what you gotta do.


The roads were slushy and we were in and out of snow the entire drive, but by the time we made it to the snowmobiling place, it was lightly coming down and very pretty.





In fact, I took this photo and did not alter it one bit.  It really looked this.  Amazing!





I've heard that a snowmobile is pretty much like a jet ski on snow.  Yep, it is!  Including the lovely smell of gas from the motor the entire time.  That part was not pleasant, but  seeing foot upon foot of new fallen snow in the back country with Jacob was amazing.  At one point we were going through a campground and if I stood up on the back of the snowmobile, I could have almost touched some of the lower hanging power lines that were overhead.  The snow was just. so. deep.  

In fact, right before we took this photo I walked on the other side of the snowmobile and the snow was up to my thighs!


The best part was getting to take turns driving in the giant valley.  And not just because I was getting motion sickness from sitting on the back for 45 minutes.  Here I am looking totally hardcore. I know, I always look hardcore, but now I am looking hardcore, IN SNOW.







I'm not gonna lie, it was cold out there. And every time I took off my gloves to take a picture, I was reminded what a lousy pioneer I would have made crossing the plains, because my hands were FREEZING and I wanted to weep after 10 seconds.  But even despite my pansie nature, I would do it again in a heartbeat. Especially with Jacob. He only gets you lost a little bit ;)







No comments: